Thursday, October 15, 2009

Would you like some chemicals to go with your soft skin?

Personal Care Product: Hempz Herbal Skin Care Body Butter

Ingredient List: Water, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut ) Oil, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Paraffin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Theobroma Cocao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Polysorbate-20, Emulsifying Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Sodium Polyacrylate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Trideceth-6, Ceteareth-20, Cannabis Sativa (Hempseed) Oil, Cannabis Sativa (Hempseed) Extract, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 6, Yellow 5

Results: According to the http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/, my lotion is ranked as 6 out of 10, or moderately hazardous. Of those included in the database, 62% of moisturizers are ranked as being less hazardous than this body butter. Ingredients in the lotion have been linked to concerns as serious as cancer and developmental and reproductive toxicity. The majority of the ingredients used to make the product are linked to less serious but still potentially concerning effects as well. The most troubling are the ingredients stearyl alcohol, paraffin, methylparaben, and glycerin. All of these have indicated varying levels of cell mutation or tumor formation in animal studies and in vitro tests, as well as shown endocrine disruption. Well over ten other ingredients are possibly associated with organ system toxicity. Most of the remaining ingredients (the “less harmful” ones) are associated with allergies and skin irritation depending on the user’s sensitivity and the quantity and frequency with which the body butter is used.
When I read these results, I admit to being shocked. This is a product I have used almost daily for about 7 years now! Although I realize it is often used as a marketing ploy, and should certainly know better, I had assumed that because the body butter was “herbal”, that it would be less harmful than many other available products. I was aware that it would be better if the manufacturer did not include pointless and harmful ingredients like yellow numbers 5 and 6 and fragrance, but I had no idea about the more seriously harmful ingredients that were in the product. Over time, I have used gallons of this product that has these ingredients that have been seeping into my skin. I am not susceptible to allergies or skin irritation, but frankly am more concerned about cell mutation and tumor growth! It blows my mind that if there are these many ingredients that are included in this body butter that are toxic and it is ranked as only “moderately” hazardous, what on earth is going on with the products that are ranked as even worse?!
I do not want to stop using lotion as a part of my personal care ritual. However, it is most definitely possible to replace this one with something that I like equally that is significantly less harmful. I am confident I can find a lotion that I like that is more natural and not made with so many toxic ingredients so that I am not gambling with serious health concerns in pursuit of soft and moisturized skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment