Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Oranges for Orangutans

This morning, in the midst of my typical slightly controlled chaos that is the process of me getting out the door, I grabbed the Tropicana Orange Juice carton in my fridge and poured a glass. As I was putting the carton away, some tiny print on one side of it caught my eye. Turns out, Tropicana is currently involved in a promotion until the end of this year to help save the rainforest, and I thought it was a really neat project and wanted to post it here...
The promotion is called "Rescue the Rainforest". In the words straight from the carton:
"Rainforest is disappearing fast and causing our climate to change. Together with Cool Earth, Tropicana aims to save thousands of acres of endangered rainforest and protect our future." Each carton of orange juice has a unique code printed on the side of it. All a consumer needs to do is go to http://www.tropicanarainforest.com/ and enter in the code. For each code entered, Tropicana and Cool Earth are preserving 100 square feet of rainforest. The website is actually really nicely done, with information about the rainforest as well as interactive components such as games for kids. I realize that 100 square feet is really not a huge amount, but I would be willing to bet that Americans consume a large quantity of orange juice consistently. If everyone opted to support Tropicana, considering that they will be buying orange juice (or any one of the other 36 Tropicana products that qualify to rescue the rainforest) anyways, and then took a few minutes to enter the code on the website, a lot of rainforest could be preserved! Check it out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment